I am an experienced technologist and researcher with substantial expertise in the creative development of web-based products and the application of cutting-edge research to real-world problems. I have over a decade of experience designing and building innovative digital products, along with excellent quantitative and qualitative research skills.
- Product strategy and management with agile methodologies
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods
- User centred design processes
- Data Science, Machine Learning and NLP
- Full stack web development and rapid, iterative prototyping of web-based products and physical prototypes
I am also a clear written and spoken communicator with considerable experience of technical and academic writing and public speaking.
April 2016 – Present: Project Technologist / Senior Software Engineer at BBC R&D
I work in a small, interdisciplinary team to design, prototype and deliver new online products and services, focusing on information and content discovery: search, recommendations and analysis. For the last eighteen months, I have led the work of the discovery team, managing projects and workstreams, overseeing the work of the team and setting up processes for effective collaboration, communicating and collaborating closely with stakeholders and other project partners (frequently through organising workshops and other events, and setting the overall strategic direction of our projects. Some highlights of this work include:
- A radio personalisation prototype which reflects public service values (and which served as a proof-of-concept of a more general ethical design and prototyping process)
- The successful delivery and TX of ‘Made By Machine’ – the first broadcast TV show made entirely using Machine Learning
- A large scale mixed-methods study with collaborators from the University of Manchester which investigated how news consumption habits impact our audiences levels of political knowledge and efficacy.
May 2015 – March 2016: PhD Student and Teaching Assistant at UCL
An attempt to gain a PhD in Computer Science, working at the intersection of Machine Learning, Human Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval. I was also a Teaching Assistant on Masters-level Programming, Information Retrieval and Data Mining courses, and a sessional lecturer on a graduate Functional Programming course.
April 2012 to present: Freelance Creative Technologist , Software Engineer and Data Scientist
A variety of work for various clients including the BBC, Cabinet Office, the Open Data Institute and several startups, agencies and charities, including prototyping, web design and development, data analysis and visualisation.
August 2011 to April 2012: Software Engineer at Likely Ltd
Took a leading role in the architecture and development of a large-scale social media analytics platform powering Likely’s products and services.
December 2009 to December 2010: Developer at Harmonypark
Working on product prototypes and creative technology concepts for clients including BBH and Barclays Bank.
March 2009 to December 2009: Developer at Headshift
Developed the web presence for Anthony Gormley’s One and Other public art project on Trafalgar Square’s Fourth plinth in 2009.
June 2007 to March 2009: Developer at Playlouder MSP
Part of a small team at an ambitious ISP which offered a legal music file sharing service.
March 2006 to June 2007: Mobile content editor at Red Bee Media.
Duties included compliance checking, copywriting and video editing of a variety of content including news, sports and music.
July 2005 to March 2006: Junior designer at Abbey Road Interactive.
Interaction, motion and visual design for a variety of Web and DVD video projects.
- 2010 to 2011: UCL— MSc Computer Science (with Distinction)
- 2002 to 2005: Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication — BA (Hons) Moving Image Design